The village and small harbor on the northern coast. In inland is a fertile valley with vineyards and vegetable gardens. The people there work in agriculture, but they are also fishermen and stone-masons.
Many beautiful coves with swimming beaches are in the vicinity. The most famoeus are Prvja and Lovrecina. Numeorus small pine forests stretch in the surroundings, towards Splitska. The parish churc in the village was built in the 16th century.
Postira is a settlement of Modern Times, founded by the refugees from across the Chanel and the old settlers of the Brac interior. The fort of Lazanic seems to have been erected (in the valley underneath) by the end of the 16th century. It was one of the numerous fortified monuments to the permanent defence of the Bracans on the bare land. In the harbour we find a high palace with a Renaissance gable on whose southern front are many humanistic quotations of a religious nature showing thus the high level of culture and education. It is the birth place of the poet I. Ivanisevic (1608-1665) who was, with his works, the initiator of Croatian literrary criticism and polemics. Such an environment could produce a famous sculptor like N. Lazanic (16th century).
Down there by the coast, in the already mentioned Renaissance palace, one of the greatest Croatian writers Vladimir Nazor (1876-1949) was born, the creator of the rebellious farmer Veli Joza and the tailed, goat-like Brac satyr and partisan messenger Loda, also a great poet of Renaissance harmony and splendour. “I was born in a little town on the coast of a sea-channel. In front of it, the sea with the sailing-boats that pass and, mostly, do not
even enter the harbour: on the other side across the water, the violet
mainland with the long mountain range: behind the little town the karst region, scrawled all over with the greeness of vineyards and olive-groves...” (VI. Nazor, Andeo u zvoniku, (The Angel in the Belfry), Mladost, 1926)
Nazor was right. Rarely did the pirates ships or traditional ships touch those shores. Postira set out to sea rather late.
From there we climb up the steep high-street into the heart of Postira. At the sides are set the luxurious houses of the former Brac landlords, erected mainly in the 18th century. The large yard and house entances, guest-roomskitchens in the lofts with large hearths, paved floors, cisterns in the yards...These houses with large cellars, high storeys and luxurious furniture interrupted the continuity of the traditional folk architecture.
The most beautiful architectural harmony with the locality of the
Mediterranean little town, we percieve in the little picturesque square in front of the church. The pebbles, polished by farmers’ feet and washed by rains are pressed into the hard soil of the street and the square. The walls of the houses that encircle the square appear picturesque and harmonious in the reflection of the sun. This closed square in front of the church, with its interesting set of facades built of dressed stone, with gates that open from the square with its stone seats for rest and talk, was for a long time the centre of life, its meeting and market place.
The village church turned its shrine into a fort with loop-holes. This is the only monument to serve a double purpose in the turbulent history of the island. Both the buildings witness that the centre and the nucleus of Postira were up on Glavica and not in the harbour. Glavica appears as a separate entity in economy and style.
Above the church, on Glavica, there was the first and genuine abode of Postira’s peasants, set in a typical rural setting of yards with the cottages covered with slabs. Next to them are the kitchens, cellars built out of rough stone or covered with thick mortar. In the yards we find the baking ovens: cellars with vine presses in deep stone oil-vessels and stone seats. this rural locality offers a valuable insight into the older Brac architecture.
From Glavica, there is a beautiful view of the Channel of Brac, of the settlement and the harbour, of the coast and the boats tied to the quays and of the picturesque yards the through their entrance gates join the village foothpaths.
In the eastern harbour of Zastivanje, the fisherman raised their houses right on the limestone cracks. used to the murmuring of the sea waves that whiten the little caves and lap against the walls, to the northern wind that sweeps dust of the sea carrying it to the lofts and rooms, they draw their green shutters to the sea when it becomes hostile.
During the star-lit nights, the dreamers walking under the tamarix trees would hear the voices of the sea and the singing of the cicades from the village gardens, mistaking them for chanting nymphs: or up on the Glavica they would think they heard the pipes of Nazor’s satyrs coming from the Brac Arcadia, while it would be just a melancholy Dalmatian song sung under some balcony in the tiny lane.
In all their time, the dwellers of Postira knew nothing of such daydreaming because to the Glavica peasants or to the Zastivanje fisherman oars and hoes in their hardened hands were the things that created a harder and grimmer history.
The Postirans will eagerly tell you the legends about the name Postira. On Vrilo in the harbour, the women from Dol used to wash and to stretch (prostirale) their clothes on the coast to dry, so that the name P(r)ostira came up. Science, of course, seeks the origin of the name in the Latin word pastura, meaning the pasture-ground. The plural form of the name comprises some formerly separated parts Glavica, Podjezice, Vrilo, Piskere, Porat, Rat, Zastivanje etc. In the Middle Ages the region was a possession of the ecclesiastical chapter of the Split and was cultivated by the Brac farmers.
In 1337 the harbour (in portu Postire) was mentioned for the first time. The settlement did not exist then.