Barbat, a town on the south-western coast of the island of Rab in the Barbat Channel, 3 km southeast of the town of Rab. It is situated on a narrow, fertile coastal plateau where vines and vegetables are cultivated. The population is mainly engaged in farming and fishing.
Barbat is well known for numerous small sand beaches extending from the former ferry pier to the beginning of the town. The islet of Dolin extends parallel to the coast of Barbat, which makes the Barbat channel an attractive place for yachting and water skiing. Since Barbat is attractive to boaters, it has a speed-boat repairing yard, as well as a shop of nautical supplies and spare parts. Numerous vacation homes along the coast, well-developed catering establishments offering domestic products, boarding and lodging services, clean sea under Velebit Mountain and peaceful islands - make Barbat a pleasant place to stay.
Next to the parish church is the ornamented sarcophagus from the 5th century. On the location of today's parish church from 1850, during the 11th-15th centuries stood the Benedictine abbey Sancti Stephani de Postran. The parish church owns a painted crucifix on a board, a work by a local master of the 17th or 18th century. - The remains of the early Romanesque church of St. Damian (which was probably a Benedictine monastery) are located on the hill above the town.